Sunday, August 30, 2009

Feedback + The Greatest Book Ever

Hey team I have a request of you all I would like some feedback from you on my blog here I would really appreciate whatever information you can give me so please be honest

1. One of the biggest complaints I get is about how long my articles are however they are usually no more than a page or two. In your very valuable opinion, how could I make them more pulling or make more people stick around to get all the way through them? Should I incorporate artwork, or change the format, or other suggestions?

2. What is your favorite article on the blog? Why do you like it? Is there anything you found lacking about it?

3. What are your three least favorite articles on the blog? What don't you like about them? What suggestions might you make so that I could improve upon them?

4. Which genre of article do you prefer? Do you prefer the shorter, less involved, and context-less stories or the longer, more drawn out ones? Do you prefer the more serious articles (or, ones closer to reality) or the more absurd and bizarre ones?

5. If you were (hypothetically) to recommend any of my articles to friends/family/coworkers/acquaintances/strangers, which type would you use to make them interested in them right away? Which articles might you avoid?

I really appreciate the feedback you guys will be able to give me. I would especially appreciate honest feedback so if you really feel strongly one way or another please don't hold back.



Hey team I would take a moment to talk about probably my favorite book of all time. This book, as some of you may be able to predict, is The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. It was one of my favorite pieces of literature when I was younger and it remains one of my favorite books to this day, although my severe allergy to reading makes it difficult to try new books I haven't already built up an immunity to.

This book is essentially the inspiration for everything that has ever happened in my life. I love the incredibly thoughtful and creative wordplay that is constantly approached from angles never dreamed of by most authors, the colorful and stranger-than-fiction yet amazingly familiar characters that Milo meets along his journey, and the joyful and happy-go-lucky yet impossibly ominous feeling the entire story has. It is a true inspiration for me and all of my writings.

Milo's journey gives us all a chance to reflect on our own curious idiosyncrasies that turn us into (very much toned down) versions of all of the glaringly flawed characters in the story. This book, while still being very much a children's story, offers many opportunities for meaningful introspection even in sophisticated adult audiences. I would challenge you all to try to read the book without coming up with a new-found appreciation for life or an epiphany for self-realization, but I'm certain that is impossible.

Now those of you who have read the book will be able to chuckle at the reference as well as ponder once again, much like we all did as children, what exactly King Azaz and the Mathemagician's statement means to us as individuals. I can't even make a joke about the book without questioning the profound messages that it offers.

I know I draw so much of my writing style from this book and in all fairness Mr. Juster should probably get at least some kind of royalties for everything I have ever written. His constant puns and carefree yet intellectual wordplay, the constant characterization of idioms and abstract concepts, and the magnificent and poignant yet absolutely meaningless metaphors that I love so dearly("the sound of a blindfolded octopus unwrapping a cellophane-covered bathtub") are all such powerful examples of how wonderfully delightful and entertaining language can be.

If you haven't already because you have a deadly reading allergy, get this book and let it be the only book you ever read in your life. It will change you as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment